Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Carmel Mission


My DD would probably not approve of these photos of her. She calls this her awkward phase. But I love them. They show what a sweet, sweet child she was. When we studied California history in 4th grade, I really loved the missions. Probably went a little overboard with the teaching there, but it's the whole "if I'm stuck on it, you're stuck with it" scenario. Since we lived in San Jose, it was just a hop, skip and a jump to several of the missions. And since we had family in Pacific Grove, well we made several trips to Monterey. One was to the Carmel Mission and another was to the Adobe Tour (layout coming up soon for that trip).

I wanted a quick, easy layout since it was a holiday and weekend and lots going on. This one was a perfect fit for the season and for the time. The layout features 11 photos. I used 2 12x12 Bo Bunny dots for the background and 2 dfferent 12x12 Heidi Grace Designs from the "Love Bug" collection. I've also used a sheet of mulberry paper for mats behind the journaling and the main photo on the left side. The title is mounted on a 2 x 12 piece of beige Bazzill. I used a 2-way glue pen and some chunky glitter for the first word in the title and some more Heidi Swapp "Invisibles" stickers for the second word. There's a little hardware, some Bo Bunny brads, ric-rak and a little ribbon. I colored some clear buttons with alcohol ink and then adhered them with Diamond Glaze to the Heidi Grace Designs paper.

I think my favorite part of this layout was the journaling. This was taken from a year-end report my daughter wrote about Father Serra. I just love her line, "He liked bells alot." And, of course, her concluding sentence, "Don't you wish everyone had faith like Father Serra?" Like a said, what a sweet, sweet child.

No comments: